Besides the obvious things women carry in their bags, I do carry nail-clippers, eye-glass sized screwdrivers, a Leatherman and peptol bismal. I may have one more item to consider adding to the mix.
So last week in class I was busy writing the answers to questions that students were saying onto the white board. It’s typical in most classrooms to have a wooden platform at the front of the class, it’s usually a step up or so, and provides for some extra height when giving lectures.
Anyway, I was wearing my favorite brown flip flop sandals that go with every outfit which I bought at Psaa Leu (Main market on the national road in Siem Reap, for a total of $3, glitter sparkles and all). As I was stepping up to write the next answer, my right strap from the interior of my foot to the big toe got caught on the platform, and the part where the strap comes together, completely tore off. (Sigh. I know. cheap sandals.)
I didn’t trip or anything, but as soon as I tried to take my next step, the bottom part of my shoe swung out from underneath my foot, making for a very awkward trip to the white-board. I gracefully stood up, a little embarrassed at what had happened, but went on with what I was doing, business as usual. However, I know that a few students (mostly girls) had noticed that my shoe was broken. (We notice these types of things, I do think).
Nevertheless, I went on during the remainder of the class teaching mostly from the corner of the room near the teacher’s desk avoiding the need to walk around as I usually do; while I let my co-teacher run the majority of the show.
After class, as I hobbled outside, one of my girl students came running after me, “Teacher, teacher, wait! I will fix for you.” She dug around in her book bag, and pulled out a little white box, and then inside it was a bottle of super-glue. She took my shoe, set it on the ground and carefully started her repair work.
I was very touched that she wanted to help me in this particular, somewhat embarrassing (at least kind of embarrassing in front of a class full of sixty 18 year old students) situation, AND I was very impressed that this woman carried around super glue in her book bag. I mean really! Who does that?
This girl did. I guess it’s kind of one of those things that you never know when you’ll need, but when you do need it, you’re really happy you’ve got it.
Anyhow, I went on with the rest of the day without any shoe problems, thanks to the girl who happened to have super glue in her bag; and since then have considered the possibility of making that addition to mine. We shall see.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment