042609 8:56pm
It has finally let up, but it still continues to sprinkle. It has been down pouring hard, hard rain non-stop for the last 3 hours. Like, seriously down pouring. That might’ve been the most solid bout of heavy rain like that, that either Will or I have ever experienced in one sitting. It was quite amazing. Gosh- I’m curious to see what the market will be like in the morning. Of course the cool air felt amazing right when it first started. Then we had to move our evening meal indoors as there was too much splashing into the patio area where our table is. It just kept coming down. It filled our big cement water tank that we use for laundry in the first 20 minutes; and overflowed for the entire rest of the time. The water was gushing like a waterfall during spring melt runoff, out of the spout from the roof.
Both Will and I bathed outside by the well. It was so refreshing; the rain was coming down so hard. You could fill up a pitcher from the spout in half a second, and just dump it all over your body while the rain continued to rinse the suds off all on its own. It felt like you were standing under a waterfall. Ha, it was quite the bathing experience. (Don’t worry, I wore my sarong and Will wore his kroma; and actually most rural people bathe just like that, outside by the well. I just happened to watch Will do it, and it looked like so much fun, I had to give it a try, and sure enough it was!) Lots of lightning and thunder. The yard is soaked. Will planted a few seeds in the garden today, and at first he mentioned the rain being a good omen; but we’re pretty sure all of the water washed away the seeds. We’ll find out in the morning I guess. Ooooooh and another loud crack of thunder just rumbled through the sky!
I did read in the paper while we were in Phnom Penh that Cambodia has been seeing some unusually early rainfall; and that the rice farmers may have to prepare themselves for possible drought later on in the season. Usually they never see rain in April. Anyway- I do admit it Was a nice break from the hot, hot day…..and as I mentioned earlier we do love it when it rains. It was just so powerful and strong tonight it was fun to watch. Who knows – maybe the season has changed already. Right now you can hear the frogs and the crickets going wild outside…it’s like this loud chorus of either really excited or really distressed creatures. ………… Ahhh….the tropics.
Friday, May 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment