Friday, September 11, 2009

Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia

A bit of culture shock I must say! It's pretty crazy to be in a modern, busy and hoppin city! We got to Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia yesterday and have been filling our time exploring the sites. Along with all the modern ameneties readily available (a 7-eleven store on every corner; nearly any american food chain you can think of) gi-normous shopping centers, come more expensive prices for everything..(Go figure! I guess the $7 guestrooms we're used to staying in Camboida for, are more like $20 places. Ah well---- we're on vacation and enjoying it!

This place is quite a site to see! This morning we got up early to get some tickets to go to the Petronas Twin Towers (The Kissing Towers)....which were completed in 1996; and at that time were the tallest buildings in the world. (Now Dubai is the winner, w/ NY's Freedom Tower running in 2nd). After that we strolled around town to the tourism center; then to 'Little India' in which they were having a huge sale bazaar... then had some really good indian food for lunch. Now we're breaking for a bit then this afternoon will head to a city forest tour - and then possibly to a movie in one of the 18-cinemas that is in the Mid-Valley- Mega Mall!

Last night we found an outdoor food bazaar in some alleys where we sampled many of the local foods and then we went to the Times Square building - which was quite the shopping center. I haven't seen a place like that in a long time; it had an imax, cinema, small amusement park and I believe 10 floors. Pretty spectacular.... AND SO very different from the current place we live in. - The Mall of America is probably bigger, but this was more condensed into a sky-scraper situation so the shops just seemed to go up and up and up!

It is a very modern and very clean city... and we'll enjoy our time here while we can. We're going to head up to one of the islands on the NE coast of the peninsula for a little snorkelling vacation followed by some time in the rainforest. Sounds like we'll sneak over to Singapore for a day or two as well. So far... so good! I'll try to keep posted!

2 comments:

Chad Coppess said...

Ya know Steph, I haven't visited your blog in a long time. Shame on me, this is great stuff! At some point in time you should look into having this all edited into a book. What awesome experiences you are having! I'll try to be better at reading more often.
Chad

LGW said...

Hi! I'm a COSing V in Morocco and am going home via SE Asia. I wondered if you or another V in Cambodia might be willing to host my on my way home.

I'm youth development in Morocco - I'd be glad to help out a couple days!

My blog is lgwpcseminole.blogspot.com. My email is the first part of that at gmail. Thanks! linley