
Road Construction
Today I noticed for the first time some actual decent road construction markers. Back in the states we have lots of bright orange cones, and blockers to keep traffic in check. Here we’ve noticed one of the methods is to use broken off branches and big rocks put on the side of the road as a deterrent that they don’t want anyone to drive on.. However today – I noticed some brightly red and white painted markers that they are using to keep traffic away. Then I got closer to them and noticed that they were brightly painted branches. Very resourceful. I kind of liked it.
Today I noticed for the first time some actual decent road construction markers. Back in the states we have lots of bright orange cones, and blockers to keep traffic in check. Here we’ve noticed one of the methods is to use broken off branches and big rocks put on the side of the road as a deterrent that they don’t want anyone to drive on.. However today – I noticed some brightly red and white painted markers that they are using to keep traffic away. Then I got closer to them and noticed that they were brightly painted branches. Very resourceful. I kind of liked it.
. . .
She is quite a character. Really kind of funny. Not formal at all and just says what she wants to say. For a while now she has been asking us who we were going to vote for in America. Well at least that’s what we could gather. Mostly it’s a bunch of words and sounds we don’t understand and then every once in a while we hear her enthusiastically say “John McCain!!”
Peace Corps policy does not condone us talking about politics (I think that mostly means Cambodian politics) – but we use that excuse for American politics as well. We did explain to her that we sent in our absentee ballots, but that we did not want to discuss who we were voting for.
But it was just so funny to hear her talk about it. She very much liked John McCain. I think part of it was because he has visited Cambodia. Part of it might be because maybe he helped fight the North Vietnamese. I do wish I knew more of the language to get her true feelings on it all. – But then she’d talk about Obama, and it sounded like she’d say that he was okay too – because he has dark colored skin, like herself.
Then last night – after she found out who one, she called us on the cell phone and told us that Obama had won. (I don’t think she realizes that we can pick up some BBC/ABC on our short wave radio and that PC had already informed us of the news) But she definitely wanted us to know how the election went.
. . .
Nyam Bei Howie? Eat Rice Already?
(that’s the direct translation). If people have nothing better to ask or say to you, they usually ask you if you have eaten rice yet. Actually, if I did a tally on the text messages I’ve gotten from Khmer people on my cell phone – as to what the topic of conversation was, it would be: Nyam bei?
They sure do like their rice in this country.
. . .
Rice Porridge Boh - boh.
Have I mentioned that my new favorite breakfast is Boh-boh (rice porridge) with a twist?
Most Khmer people eat this rice porridge (which is pretty bland; actually they make it in the Philippines too) – and then sometimes they add some pork to it for breakfast. Hrrrrm…..
Anyhow... I remember visiting the Philippines with my family when I was 5 years old, and we were at my mom’s aunt’s house and they had made this rice porridge. “There is no way I am going to eat this stuff, it tastes horrible” thought five year old Stephanie to herself. Sure enough – auntie and my mom mix some sugar and cocoa into the stuff and it’s gone in minutes.
Whether it’s good or bad, I don’t know, but not much has changed in my taste buds in the last 22 years.
Rice Porridge Boh - boh.
Have I mentioned that my new favorite breakfast is Boh-boh (rice porridge) with a twist?
Most Khmer people eat this rice porridge (which is pretty bland; actually they make it in the Philippines too) – and then sometimes they add some pork to it for breakfast. Hrrrrm…..
Anyhow... I remember visiting the Philippines with my family when I was 5 years old, and we were at my mom’s aunt’s house and they had made this rice porridge. “There is no way I am going to eat this stuff, it tastes horrible” thought five year old Stephanie to herself. Sure enough – auntie and my mom mix some sugar and cocoa into the stuff and it’s gone in minutes.
Whether it’s good or bad, I don’t know, but not much has changed in my taste buds in the last 22 years.
I’ve resulted to eating Boh-boh with a spoonful of sugar and several scoops of Ovaltine powder in it. To keep things on the healthy side, I’ll throw in a banana as well.
Man that stuff is good.
I don’t think I’ll ever lose my sweet tooth. Maybe more appropriately named: chocolate tooth. I mean why would you eat something else, if you’ve got chocolate as an option?




No comments:
Post a Comment